A Fat Girl's Diary

The oh-so many frustrations in life.

Saturday, May 3

Pillow Talk: The Korean Mochi

My parents and sibling tells me over our sumptuous meal in CookBook Kitchen: Why not try to become a food critic?

Hmmmm why not?

I will try to document my food trips on my blog just to give it a shot. Gardo is quite a lot of weight to take around everyday so I would have to use my trusty phone for now. But for this entry, the food was just gone in a split second so I did not get the chance to document it.

1st up is the KOREAN MOCHI.

I do love mochis. Theyre chewy and sweet. A perfect ending to a salty asian meal. I've had my fair share of mochis from the Chinese delis (Salazar Bakery, DEC's, etc) to its ice cream form (Dreyer's and Magnolia). But the Korean Mochi is very much different versus its cousins.

I tasted this from the pasalubong my sister's Korean BF brought home. It was actually the last of the lot. As you would know how fast the food around here disappears.

Given my experience with the other mochis, I expected it to have more or less the same flavor. Sticky and Sweet.

As I lifted the sole survivor, it was so soft, light and powdery. No gluey texture left on my fingers. And it was snow white. Glowing white. Like a pillow waiting for you on your bed after a tiring day at work.

I bit into the dough and the hint of salt hit my palate. Chewy and salty. Not the chewy type that stuck to your gums and to the roof of your mouth.

My taste buds reached the red bean core and then the sweetness hit in. BUT it was very mild and not sugary at all. You still could feel the contrast of the roughness of the mashed red beans and the smoothness of the mochi dough.

Perfect. Addicting. I want more. Especially that I do have to significantly cut my sugar due to medical reasons. Hehe.

Hope to come across another pack in one of those neighborhood Korean grocery stores.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home